Thursday, July 20, 2006

This episode- I just want to play with my Wii

So I was signing online to my normal nerdy routine, when what do I see when I load up my yahoo messenger? Yes, that's right- an advertisement for the Wii. And since I slacked as normal, I don't have images to go with this article (of mine personally at least). I rrrrreally need to... well, ya know.
Okay now. So moving on.
I went to E3 this year as I already have said.. multiple times already. So, let's skip that formality (or erm, well technically I didn't given what I just said.. But Anyways! whew), and get straight to the good stuff.
I was fortunate enough to play the new Next Gen systems. I won't lie- since I'm horrible at it anyway, I didn't really give too much of a look over at the 360. Yes, it's wonderful. I know all you Halo Addicts, can't get enough of the Xbox. You win a cookie.
It just wasn't too impressive to me. I mean, yeah, for multimedia functionality, sure great. I could just make my computer do the same crap pretty much.
Big effin deal.

Now I will say, that I obviously walked into this thinking "Playstation has the best titles, so I'm sure it will be good."
Perhaps it was FF12 combined with that system that disappointed me a bit. It wasn't as fabulous as I had imagined it would be. They would not let you take any pictures of the game at all. I was holding my digital there for a few minutes before someone came to point my attention to the posted sign. I should've snapped sooner. But, oh well. I hate to say it, but you didn't miss that much.
Ok so maybe part of it was that I just jumped right into combat without any sort of demo. But, come on! Give a gal a break.
So yes, the PS3. Updated graphics engine, a few new features, and oh yes, "the batwing controller."
Yawn yawn yawn.

I want something really new. I want something innovative. Ah yes, the Wii was made for picky b!7che$ like me.
When I'd first seen the Asian version of the commerical for it, back then when it was still called the code name "Revolution," I was completely taken back by it. It brought me back to the days where I was a little girl (little-er for those that know me irl.. shaddup) with pigtails... ok well geez, this isn't getting any better... considering...
*crickets*
I mean when I was like 10 not now. Or not a 10.. dit it tah.
Wow tough crowd. Come on, I'm not that full full of myself here.
I remember how me and my kid brother would play our sega genesis and how we would jump and punch and kick, as if for some reason, that was going to help us do any better. Sure, you could get a Power Pad for the NES or the Activator for the Sega (Eternal Champions.. yeah baby!). But that was about it.
Finally, a game where moving that controller like that is an integral part of the normal gameplay.
Most people either loved or hate the control system. My husband, was a hater. Finally at E3, I was given a little taste of the awesomeness that is the Wii.
Let me tell you just getting into that area to demo the Wii was a challenge enough. The area that the Wii was had lines like you wouldn't believe.
I should have gone on the first day when I had early Press access. See, that would have made sense as I only had one meeting with the wonderful folks over at Warhammer Online(great game btw, I should dig up my review). Horray, my blonde must be showing.
Of course, I slacked and decided to hit it on the last day... having struck out trying to get any pictures with booth babes the day before. That has to be the worst part about being a Bisexual Female at a conference like that. No love for moi. Blah.
So the last day, I attempted to look somewhat girly. I had been all skater rat the days before. I wanted to look decent for my meeting with Sony and the guys over at P.E. (makers of the upcoming MMO Gods and Heroes). So, I wore heels. Let's just say, that was a really bad idea. But, I'm thankful enough that I can say I had the discipline to do it.
Ok I know you boys don't really care about all that crap. But, you can just shush, because this is my blog and I'll pat myself on the back if I want to.
The doors open up on the last day. I was going to get in line with some of my collegues from Stratics. I thought that they were ahead of me when I talked to them on the cell. Nope, I should have stayed in line where I originally was.
Like I said, we went right to the line for Nintendo as soon as they opened. We were in line at least 2-3 hours. I had a meeting at 1030 I think it was, and we still weren't there.
This line was so crazy, that Nintendo personell were walking down the line asking random questions "Anyone have a paperclip?" "Anyone have a safety pin?" "Anyone have a gameboy advance on them?" Etcetera Etcetera. When I was in line I was actually approached by an Italian internet media person to interview me about why I was standing in line this long to see it. You will be happy to know, I made a wonderful ass of myself. I sounded like such a Nintendo Fangirl it was not even funny.
My friend Mike from Stratics helped us get past the crowds thankfully. He had a passport. It was funny, because here was this white guy from Conneticut and there were a bunch of foreigners around us, and none of them had one.
You walked in and there was a middle rotateing platform with different games being demo'd.
After you got out of that area, you could walk and get into a line of various games to try it out yourself. I tried out Tony Hawk's game. I am happy to say, that that wasn't a waste of time.
You have to move the controller back and forth to balance, and do tricks. It was marvelous. I was smitten.
I looked at my phone. Crap, I needed to be at my meeting in like, 10 minutes and since I'm horrible with directions, I wasn't sure exactly where the booth was. (Yes, once again, the blonde was showing) Did I mention that I was in heels? Yeah I thought so.
I had to rush through. Lines were hectic as it was. The guy giving me the demo told me that if I wanted to play some more, I could. I was bummed. I could've easily stayed there awhile. He told me that I could come back and play some more. I ran out of time. My 30 minute meeting with SOE turned into a few hours. ... but that's a whole other ballgame.
I'm stoked about the Wii. You should be too.
Out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home